Birth, Death, & Marriage Records
The Wilson County Register of Deeds Office maintains marriage records (1855 to present), death records (1913 to present), Birth records (1913 to present), and delayed birth records.
Effective August 19, 2013, the Wilson County Register of Deeds Office began participating in the new Statewide Birth Certificate Issuance Program. This program enables residents to obtain a copy of a certified birth certificate for individuals born anywhere in North Carolina from 1971 to the present. This option is not available for online request.
Cost for the service is $24 which includes researching the certificate in the North Carolina state registry and one copy of the certificate, if found. Additional certificates from the same search are $10 each.
County residents who would like to take advantage of this service are encouraged to come to the Register of Deeds Office located at 101 N. Goldsboro St., Wilson from 8 am to 5 p.m. or visit the website below for online request.
Visit the Register of Deeds' website and follow the instructions to submit and pay for a Vital Record request online. Fees for certified copies are $10 each and uncertified copies are $1 each. You pay by major credit/debit cards online. (Additional fee charged if paying by credit card)
Birth and death records are filed in the county that they occur in. Marriages are filed in the county that they are issued in. Adoption records are not filed in Wilson County.
Photocopies are available to the public.
Requirements for Obtaining Certified Copies Filed in Wilson County
In order to obtain a certified birth, death or marriage certificate, one of the following must apply:
- Applicant is related to individual on the birth / death / marriage certificate
- Birth and marriage only - Applicant can be self
- For birth, death, and marriage - Applicant can be immediate family which includes: spouse, sister, brother, child, parent / stepparent, grandparent, or grandchild
- Death only - Immediate family, funeral directors, beneficiary under insurance policy (must provide insurance policy), or the informant on the death certificate
- Applicant is seeking information for legal determination of personal or property rights
- Applicant is authorized agent, attorney, or legal representative of a person listed above
Other Requirements A valid drivers license or government issued I.D. is required when requesting certified copies. If you are requesting a certified copy by mail please send a photocopy of your I.D.
There is a fee of $10 for each certified record. We accept cash or money orders only.