Detached Accessory Building Permit Process
- Print an application or contact the Wilson County Inspections Department for a building permit application. The office is located at:
Wilson County Miller Road Office Building
2201 Miller Rd. S.
Wilson, NC 27893
Ph: (252) 399-2965
- If the address is in Black Creek, Elm City, Kenly (Wilson County area only), Lucama, Saratoga, Sharpsburg (Wilson County Area only), Sims, Stantonsburg, or the Extra-Territorial Zoning Jurisdiction (ETJ) of either of these towns, then you must obtain zoning approval from the applicable jurisdiction prior to applying for the building permits.
- Submit the completed application along with a plot plan to the Planning and Inspection Department for review and approval. The plot plan needs to show the location of the proposed structure on the property and the distance to any other existing buildings. The distance to property lines also needs to be shown.
- A copy of the building plans (blueprints) must be included. For more information regarding plans, view our plan requirements.
- Concrete for footings and/or floor slabs shall not be poured until an inspection is approved.
- Next will be the framing inspection. Any other electrical, plumbing, or mechanical will be inspected at this time.
- After all rough-ins are approved and re-inspection fees are paid, then a final inspection will be given and upon approval a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued.