What You Can Do To Prevent Littering
- Set an example for others, especially children, by not littering.
- Carry a litterbag in your car.
- Make sure trash cans have lids that can be securely fastened.
- If you have curbside trash collection, don't put out loose trash in boxes.
- Tie papers in a bundle before placing them in a curbside recycling bin.
- If you own a business, check dumpsters daily to see that top and side doors are closed.
- If you or a member of your family is involved in a civic group, scouting, or recreational sports program, encourage the group to adopt a spot in your town and maintain it on a regular basis.
- Make litterbags for your bicycle, and give them to your friends, too.
- Report areas where people have illegally dumped garbage and debris to your local highway, public works, or conservation office, and ask that the material be removed.
- Volunteer to help organize a cleanup.
- Use pocket ashtrays.