Horticultural land means land that is a part of a horticultural unit that is actively engaged in the commercial production or growing of fruits or vegetables or nursery or floral products under a sound management program. Horticultural land includes woodland and wasteland that is a part of the horticultural unit, but the land included in the unit shall be appraised under the use value schedules as woodland or wasteland.
It may consist of more than one tract of horticultural land, but at least one of the tracts must meet the requirements.
If property loses its eligibility for any reason, deferred taxes become due for the current year plus three previous years, plus interest for all prior years. If only a part of the qualifying tract loses its eligibility, a determination shall be made of the amount of deferred taxes applicable to that part, and that amount shall become payable with interest.
All applications must be filed during the regular listing period (month of January) or within 30 days of the notification of change in value or within 60 days of the date of the property’s transfer. If you have any questions about the program, you may contact the Real Estate Division at 252-399-2902.
- At least one tract must consist of at least five acres that are in actual production.
- Must have produced an average gross income of at least one thousand dollars ($1,000) for the three years preceding January 1 of the year in which this benefit is claimed. Gross income includes income from the sale of the horticultural products produced from the land and any payments received under a governmental soil conservation or land retirement program.
- If individually owned, the property must be the owner's residence or have been owned by the current owner or a relative of the current owner for four years preceding January 1 of the year in which the benefit is claimed.
- Estimate of Deferred Taxes (AV-7)
- Present Use Value Application (AV-5) - Electronic Completion Only
- Present Use Value Application (AV-5) - Manual Completion Only
- Voluntary Disqualification from Present Use Value (AV-6)
- Voluntary Payment of Deferred Taxes (AV-3)