Convenience Centers: Solid Waste District

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


The county operates 13 convenience centers (collection sites) in the Wilson County Solid Waste District. Incorporated towns and cities are not included in the District. The convenience centers only accept household solid waste produced by residents of the District. Commercial and industrial solid waste is not accepted at the convenience centers.

User Permits

Access to the convenience centers is only provided to customers that displays a valid permit issued to them.

District Permit - $35
District household is charged $35.00 per year. This fee is dedicated to providing convenience center services. Fee is listed as a SWAF (Solid Waste Availability Fee) on property owner’s tax bill. Each district household is entitled to two permits free of charge. Additional permits may be purchased at Solid Waste Management Office for a fee of $35. Permits will be issued every three years using different color. Current green permit is valid until January 2017. Yellow permits are no longer valid.

Temporary Permit - $65
Non-district residents. Renews annually. Contact Solid Waste Management Office at291-7335 to purchase. Current red temporary permit is valid until January 2016.

Hours of Operation

  • Monday - Saturday: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
  • Sunday: 1 p.m. -6 p.m.

Acceptable Items

  • Household garbage
  • Appliances (white goods)
  • Recyclables (List of recyclable items)
  • Scrap tires (up to 5 off the rim)
  • Corrugated cardboard (Please remove all packing material or other contaminants)
  • Electronics (Computers & TVs)
  • Used cooking oil

Additional Item Information

  • Triple-rinsed and/or pressure-rinsed pesticide containers can be taken to the Elm City, Rock Ridge, Lucama, and Landfill Road convenience centers or to the Landfill.
  • Large bulky items such as mattresses and furniture can be taken to the convenience center located on Landfill Road, Hwy 42 W, or to the Landfill. There is no charge for disposal of these materials.
  • Yard waste (limbs, leaves, grass clippings, etc.), can be taken to the Convenience Center on Landfill Road or to the Landfill. There is no charge for disposal of these materials.
  • Construction and demolition debris or C&D (roofing, boards, siding, brick, concrete products, carpet, etc.) can be taken to the Wilson County Landfill for disposal. A tipping fee is charged for these items. The rate for C&D is $40 per ton.
  • Used motor oil, antifreeze, and oil filters can be taken to the Landfill.
  • Gently used, clean, and functional clothing and shoes can be taken to all convenience centers and placed in the Planet Aid donation bins.