View the Wilson County marriage application.
- Both applicants must possess a valid picture I.D. such as a state issued drivers license, state issued ID card, passport or military ID.
- Both applicants must provide their social security card or their 2016 W-2 Form. Applicants who are not eligible for a social security number may obtain a marriage license by signing an affidavit attesting to this fact. The affidavit is available in our office.
- Divorced and widowed applicants must provide month and year of when divorce or dissolution occurred. If divorced or widowed for less than a year, certified documents are required.
- Applicants 18 to 20 years of age must also provide a certified copy of their birth certificate. Applicants 16 to 17 years of age must also provide a certified copy of their birth certificate. Consent must be given in person at the Register of Deeds by one of the following:
- A parent having full or joint legal custody of the underage marriage applicant or
- A person, agency, or institution having legal custody or serving as guardian of the underage marriage applicant.
- Picture identification and legal documents proving custody or guardianship are required.
- Certified birth certificate issued by a government agency in the U.S., Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory, or Canada, or U.S. Report of Consular Birth Abroad must be verifiable.
- Applicants 14 or 15 years of age must attain a court order by a District Court Judge authorizing the marriage. Under the age of 14 is unlawful to marry.
- The fee for the marriage license is $60, cash only.
- The license is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance. You can use the license in any county in the State of North Carolina. It must be returned to the Register of Deeds office in the county where the license was issued within 10 days of the marriage ceremony.
- Marriage licenses are issued from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Applications will not be accepted after 4:30 p.m.
- A marriage certificate can be obtained from the office where the license was issued after the license has been returned. The fee for a marriage certificate is $10, cash only. You must present a valid picture I.D. when requesting this certificate.