Duties & Responsibilities
Welcome to the Wilson County Inspections Division, part of the Wilson County Development Services Department!
The Wilson County Inspections Division is responsible for:
- Receiving applications and supporting data for permits
- Issuing or denying permits
- Making all necessary inspections to ensure code compliance
- Issuing or denying certificates of compliance and occupancy
It is our duty to maintain adequate records of permits issued, inspections made, corrections ordered, and certificates issued.
Permits are issued between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and can be paid for using cash, check, Visa, or MasterCard.
When am I required to get a permit?
- For new construction,
- For additions or remodel,
- Structural repairs,
- Detached accessory building, garage, carport, or storage building that exceeds 12 feet in any dimension or exceeds 1 story,
- Re-roofing ONLY if structural framing changes are needed,
- Swimming pools: above ground and in ground,
- HVAC replacements,
- Electrical service upgrades, repairs, and/or additional wiring,
- Connecting to City or County water or sewer, and
Fences do not typically require building permits, but, however, do require zoning permits.
If in doubt, please do not hesitate to call us at (252) 399-2965.