Convenience Centers: Solid Waste District

The county operates 13 convenience centers (collection sites) in the Wilson County Solid Waste District. Incorporated towns and cities are not included in the District. The convenience centers only accept household solid waste produced by residents of the District. Commercial and industrial solid waste is not accepted at the convenience centers.

User Permits
Access to the convenience centers is only provided to customers who display a valid permit issued to them.

District Permit - $35 
District household is charged $35.00 per year. This fee is dedicated to providing convenience center services. Fee is listed as a SWAF (Solid Waste Availability Fee) on property owner’s
tax bill. Each district household is entitled to two permits free of charge. Additional permits may be purchased  at Solid Waste Management Office for a fee of $35 (cash or check only).  Permits will be issued every three years using different color. Current green permit is valid until January 2017. Yellow permits are no longer valid. 

Temporary Permit - $65 
Non-district residents. Renews annually. Contact Solid Waste Management Office at 399-2823 to purchase (cash or check only). Current blue temporary permit is valid until January 2015.

Hours of Operation
Open 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday - Saturday
1 p.m. - 6 p.m. Sunday

Convenience Centers are closed for the following holidays:

Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Eve (closes at noon)
Christmas Day

Acceptable Items
  • Household garbage
  • Appliances (white goods)
  • Recyclables (List of recyclable items)
  • Scrap tires (up to 5 off the rim)
  • Corrugated cardboard (Please remove all packing material or other contaminants)
  • Electronics (Computers & TVs)
  • Used cooking oil
Additional Item Information
  • Triple-rinsed and/or pressure-rinsed pesticide containers can be taken to the Elm City, Rock Ridge, Lucama, and Landfill Road convenience centers or to the Landfill.
  • Large bulky items such as mattresses and furniture can be taken to the convenience center located on Landfill Road, Hwy 42 West, or to the Landfill. There is no charge for disposal of these materials.
  • Yard waste (limbs, leaves, grass clippings, etc.), can be taken to the Convenience Center on Landfill Road or to the Landfill. There is no charge for disposal of these materials.
  • Construction and demolition debris or C&D (roofing, boards, siding, brick, concrete products, carpet, etc.) can be taken to the Wilson County Landfill for disposal. A tipping fee is charged for these items.The rate for C&D is $40 per ton.
  • Used antifreeze can be taken to the Landfill Road convenience center.
  • Used motor oil & oil filters can be taken to the sites at Elm City, Hwy 117, Lucama, Hwy 42 West, Hwy 581, Landfill Road, or the Landfill.
  • Gently used, clean, and functional clothing and shoes can be taken to all convenience centers and placed in the Planet Aid donation bins.